Silicon Valley Investors Club (SVIC) is a global community of STEM professionals interested in making smarter investment and career decisions.
Chamath Palihapitiya, founder of Social Capital and known as Wall Street’s king of special-purpose acquisitions companies (SPACs), explains how he is trying to solve inequality and climate change.
If you enjoyed this video please share it!
In This Talk, You’ll Learn About:
- The role of hedge funds in modern finance
- Apps, such as Robin Hood, and their impact on trading
- Reasons to invest and explanation of the “investment game”
- How Chamath allocates capital
- Cryptocurrencies and digital assets
Related Interviews: Interview with Annie Duke, Thinking in Bets
- 00:08 Introduction to Chamath Palihapitiya, the founder of Social Capital.
- 01:10 Deciphering Chamath Palihapitiya’s anti-establishment appeal and what he stands for.
- 02:28 Reasons for Chamath Palihapitiya’s reactions to game stop short squeeze and throttle buy
- 05.00 Palihapitiya’s stance on hedge funds and the role they play in modern finance.
- 07:57 Reasons for the change in Chamath’s analysis.
- 09:30 Chamath’s views on apps such as Robin Hood and their impact on trading.
- 11:02 Reasons for deciding to invest and the impact of the fundamentals of business.
- 13:37 Chamath’s opinion of Tesla as a reputable stock to purchase.
- 16:23 Chamath’s perspectives on the limit to the SPAC revolution in terms of available capital.
- 18:27 The biggest SPAC that can be raised by Chamath.
- 20:07 Chamath’s explanation of the investment game between insiders and outsiders.
Related Article: Investors Therapy #16: “Private Equity”
- 24:00 Chamath’s views on inexperienced investors raising SPAC and running companies.
- 25:14 Chamath’s views on transforming financial games between insiders and outsiders.
- 26:32 Chamath’s stance on his use of his major shares in Virgin Galactic.
- 28:32 Chamath’s explanation on his allocation of his capital between social capital, family office, and personal holdings.
- 29:37 Chamath’s views on authenticity, transparency, and accountability in business.
- 31:59 Reorganization strategies to be employed from Social Capital 2.0 to 3.0.
- 33:28 Clamath’s estimated net worth
- 34:02 Chamath’s inspiration for his all-time most popular tweet.
- 35:08 The importance of bitcoins to Chamath’s and its present uses.
Related Article: Angel Investments vs. Stocks: A Practical Guide
- 37:54 The cryptocurrencies and digital assets that Chamath processes and believes in.
- 38:56 Chamath’s views on the dissolution of Big Tech.
- 41:57 Chamath’s political aspirations and ambitions.
- 44:08 Chamath views regarding his monetary support of politicians.
- 45:06 The actual amount being spent by Chamath to recall Governor Newsome.
- 46:50 Chamath’s views on selling and relocation.
- 47: 21 Chamath explanation and stance on his previous “I am not your slave” comment.
Related Interviews: Interview with Nassim Taleb: COVID Misconceptions, Fed Policy, Inflation